Sunday, March 20, 2011

Model Behavior



Thinking back to when I was a pre-teen, before everything was digitally available with a keystroke, I spent many hours pouring over glossy magazines like Tiger Beat, Teen Beat, and Young Miss. The pages were filled with articles, pull out posters (ahh..Scott Baio and Leif Garrett) and ads... lots of ads for make-up, Oxy, clothes.


I don’t recall any life changing stories but I do remember the ad from Barbizon School, the pretty blonde with her feathered bangs and the tagline “Train to be a model or just look like one”. Oh how I wanted to be a model and for a hefty sum, I just knew they could help me. I called the number got their pamphlet but my smarter than me parents said "No" (although at the time I disagreed)


Our Sunday school class is studying the book of Philippians. The focal scripture this week tells us to conduct ourselves in “a manner worthy of the gospel”, or another way to say it might be to model Jesus. One of the articles I read said,

God doesn’t care about your physical attractiveness, but he does care about your spiritual attractiveness


In order to model Jesus we must strive to have his attitude, one of humility, perseverance, boldness, obedience, and unity in the body. Unlike the Barbizon School of New York whose offer came with a price tag , God’s son gave himself for the whole of humanity at no cost to anyone but himself. He paid the cost of my sin and yours and lived a perfect life. Become familiar with the way he treated others, with the way he conversed with The Father, with his compassion, his passion, and his obedience unto death. Then once you get to know him - behave like someone who knows him.

No comments:

Post a Comment