Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Severe Weather Alert!

storm in red sunset
Yesterday, here in middle Georgia, we experienced some severe weather. Thunder, lightning, heavy rains, and high winds, all were part and parcel to the storm and not uncommon in this change of season.
I love a good storm weather-wise but am not so much a fan of relationship storms.

Because of the three teens under our roof, it should come as no surprise to me (or anyone else for that matter) that the number and intensity of relational storms has grown more frequent in this season of our lives. I wish there were relationship forecasters. I can just see it -some guy standing in front of maps saying "here you see a high pressure front from the school, when it reaches your home conditions are favorable for severe yelling, disrespect with a chance of slamming doors".  Maybe they could even recommend some items for an emergency preparedness kit: earplugs, breathing techniques chart, and  maybe a handbook would be nice plus I could really use a checklist.

I think over the past week every weather idiom known to man has played out in our house.
We've had  the "lull before the storm" with a lovely vacation and a "storm in a teacup" during which Ben walked out. Our son took shelter at "any port in a storm" while we (Sparta and I) "rode the storm out".  After talking "up a storm" we think the worst is over, although we are not sure if this is possibly just the "eye of the storm". Our hope is that we are now living in a long lasting  "calm after the storm".
There is great comfort in knowing that even in the most turbulent of circumstance I have a God who can speak to me in a storm just as He spoke to Job. I serve a Lord who is not storm-driven but who controls the winds and waves.  I found an original song on Youtube by a very talented young man- hope you take time to listen and enjoy. It's called "Calm My Storm"

So far it's been sunshine and peace this week....let's hope it stays this way.

Praying to no longer be driven by the storm but by the One who directs it!

No comments:

Post a Comment