Thursday, November 18, 2010

Get Your Motor Runnin'...

We are looking for a new automobile...not really brand new just new to us.  Sparta is opposed to new, fresh, shiny, from the factory cars because that would mean payments, full coverage insurance and instant depreciation. Here is auto wisdom per Sparta:  a car is not an investment; it is unwise to spend that much money on something that devalues so quickly; a car is a tool to get you to and from where you need to be. He is right on all counts.( I don't like that he is right.)

I've read a couple of articles about frugal millionaires and learned that Warren Buffet, Jim Walton and the world's richest man Carlos Slim drive older cars in their day to day lives.  The Financial Peace guy, Dave Ramsey, advises not to buy new and says that leasing is not the way to go either. I think I've heard him say something along the line of if you've leased you've been fleeced.  So you see, Sparta is in good company with his beliefs and opinions.

It doesn't matter though that my transportation won't be new, because it won't be a mini-van. (Insert Happy Dance Here).  Since Ben rarely rides anywhere with us anymore and Allison is on the verge of her permit we don't  have to have a van.  For the first time in 15 years I will get to drive a car a real, honest-to-Pete, four door car as a primary means of getting back and forth.  YIPPEE!!!

Honestly, I never was a van type of person. Although I have been driving one for what seems an eternity now, it never felt quite right- I sort of felt like a steak in a room full of vegetarians.  Now to figure out what will let me feel like me. Autotrader.com here I come.

1 comment:

  1. Good for you Tracey! I'm holding out on the van. Hopefully by the time I HAVE to have a new vehicle, we will be past the van stage too! LOL!

    ReplyDelete