Friday, November 5, 2010

Miss Me Yet?

I am a political news junkie, in fact, that is probably why I've been MIA from the blogosphere these past few weeks. There was always something interesting to read that linked to something else interesting to read, that linked to something else, etc...  I am hopeful that my addiction is under control since the elections are now over.

My interest in politics goes way back.  My dad ran for sheriff twice when I was a child.   I remember going door to door along with my younger sister asking people to vote for my daddy. We would be dropped off in subdivisions and knock-knock on every door.  It was a lot like trick-or-treating without the possibility of treats. A favorite memory from those days is how our dad taught us to shake hands properly ( a useful lesson and I've been told I have a great handshake). My sister and I attended various rallies. The excitement and enthusiasm was contagious, and so the addiction began.

Daddy's mother, also known as Maw-Maw, was a poll worker in our district and would bring all the unused ballots to her house after elections.  My cousin, my sister, and I spent most Friday nights with her. We proceeded to hold our own elections each weekend until the ballots were all used up.  We would take turns pretending to be the candidates whose names happened to be on that year's form and tally up the votes. We would each vote more than once, it's amazing  none of us turned out to be community organizer/activists.

As a young woman there was a time when I thought myself to be more liberal feminist than conservative evangelical.  I remember arguing with my dad once and calling him a male chauvinist as I sang Hilary Clinton's praises. He didn't like that very well and apparently the charge offended him more than I had hoped at the time. When John McCain announced that his running mate would be Sarah Palin, Daddy called immediately to let me know he was quite pleased with that choice. Daddy was very clear -a male chauvinist, he is not.

This past Tuesday as I cast my ballot, I had the pleasure of being with my 18 year old son as he voted in his very first election and I just wouldn't be Tracey if there were no tears so, of course, I cried. Don't you wonder what all the folks there must have thought as I stood back crying and watching him  as he made his choices?

Here's a little FYI for ya - although my views are considerably conservative, I read blogs and articles from known liberal sites and publications. I turn on "The View" occasionally but Whoopi and Joy really get on my nerves even when the show isn't politically charged. Even though I am Christian southern  woman who lives in the boonies,  watches Fox News Channel, reads Drudge and listens to talk radio my decisions are informed and my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment