Saturday, September 11, 2010

Ewwww....Mom I Hate It

My girls are 12 and 14 or rather, ALMOST 13 and ALMOST 15.  Their clothing, music, and food choices are quite different than my own. In fact, I might venture to say RADICALLY different than my own.

Just as it did in my day, (back when there were no cell phones and dinosaurs ruled the earth) school picture day calls for something new to wear, as does a Friday night football game. Both of these events were scheduled this week. I know better than to pick anything out without a little input from at least one of the girls.  I've learned this the hard way, through a series of returns and unworn items. It was with some serious trepidation that I ventured out into the wonderful world of shopping with a teen yesterday. I really did think I had a workable plan and that the end result would be smiles, hugs, and thank you's.  First, I went to a trendy store where ALL the kids shop. Second, Allison was with  me and had been given the okay by Leah to do her choosing (she had to head over to soccer practice). Leah trusts Allison's fashion advice-even though they fight like cats and dogs over everything else.  A couple of weeks ago while shopping for shoes with Leah, she wouldn't choose sandals without sending a picture to Allison for her thumbs up.

Merrily, merrily,  with no doubts our purchases would please the younger girl, Allison and I left the store. Leah loves Elmo so a really cute Elmo shirt was a no-brainer.  Honestly, the girl tells me at least a couple of times weekly "I love Elmo".  Allison also found an orange shirt and a cute little patterned tank to wear underneath it.  The combination worked beautifully.

Well,  as you might imagine her reception of the shirts was not what I had expected.  With the  passionate displeasure only a preteen can identify and express so succinctly she let it be known we had failed her....miserably.  There was stomping of the feet, humphing sounds, and tears.

Only  adding to my confusion is how my choices for the girls can be so repulsive and yet somehow my own clothing, jewelry and shoes find a way to their rooms. Hmmmmmmmm.... it's a mystery.

No comments:

Post a Comment