Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Real Time Travel- Really

Clocks Sinking Into A Time Warp Over A Starry Night Sky Clipart Illustration by Rasmussen ImagesI am having a very good day! I have been time traveling with songs on the radio, I’ve been back in high school flipping a flag during a half-time show ("Owner of a Lonely Heart"). I’ve been to the day where my first-love and future husband first talked to me ("Centerfold"). I’ve been back into those carefree days of my early 20’s where it was dancing every night and helping out at the Spring City Café in Huntsville, Alabama ("The Joker"-not that I was in my 20's when that song came out ). I also went to a Kiss concert where I rocked and rolled all night to...can you guess..."I Want to Rock and Roll All Night".  I've been proposed to by the aforementioned first love ("Faithfully") and gone to my "Sweet Home Alabama", where the skies are so blue.

Not all my time traveling is so happy, happy, joy, joy.  There are those songs that make me cry and fall  apart too. Not today though, whoever was in charge of programming did an awesome job of picking only the ones that were sure to leave me positively peppy. I have no doubt I've given more than a couple folks cause to wonder what I am smiling about.

What is it about music that can so immediately evoke emotions and put me in a completely different place? I have not a clue but I do know there's not one iota of musical talent in these pipes of mine. The saying “can’t carry a tune in a bucket”, well that doesn’t even begin to cover my lack of ability. I still sing though. I sing out at church (sometimes), I sing loudly at home(when no one is around), I sing while driving (even when other people are in the car) and I’ve even caught myself or been caught by someone else singing out with the Muzak in stores. Usually, I don’t realize that the singing is not just in my head until someone looks at me a bit oddly, then I smile, shrug, and quickly leave the aisle.

If you remember the Carpenter's song "Sing", you know I really take those lyrics to heart. If you don't here it is.




I hope you get to journey to a happy place today.

No comments:

Post a Comment