Monday, August 9, 2010

Favorite Tips for Around the House

I do not like bugs especially in they house, but no matter how clean I keep the kitchen or how often I take out the trash, somehow, someway, every once in a while they bring their creepy crawly selves right inside. Since I am not crazy about the idea of coating every surface of my home with chemicals and perhaps even having those chemicals reach the lungs of the two legged creatures skulking around while I exterminate I have sought out other methods of dealing with the critters that make their way inside.



As a mother of four I know there are times dishes, don’t make it to the sink; sometimes they don’t even make it to the kitchen. Even though the food left in bedrooms and under furniture has been the cause on more than one occasion for ants to trail into the house it’s not the only reason they come in. Sometimes weather has been the culprit either it has been too dry or too wet. Other times I have no idea why they come they just do. To get rid of them without pesticides, I use baby powder at their point of entry. The talc seems to be an effective barrier for preventing more ants from coming inside. Then cornmeal or grits (not the instant kind) are great weapons in the battle to do away with the ants; either of these grain products will swell inside the ants after consumption killing them. Once the problem is resolved , the ants can be deterred from returning by placing a few drops of peppermint oil on cotton balls and placing the cotton balls in known trouble spots. Be sure to refresh them periodically.


Another nuisance insect at my house has been the fruit fly. The pesky little gnat like flies are especially prevalent in the summer when I forget to throw out the bananas or tomatoes that have grown too ripe on the counter. The best way to get rid of them is with apple cider vinegar. Pour the vinegar into a bowl or wide mouth bottle, cover it with clear plastic wrap, poke holes in the plastic and secure it to the container with a rubber band to prevent the flies from escaping. I was amazed at how well this worked the first time I tried it. The flies breed in moist places so to prevent a re-infestation pour ammonia followed by hot water down the drains of your sinks.



One more thing I really hate is stains. We’ve had our share of those too. Red drinks, chocolate milk, mustard, ketchup, mud and blood, yep, I’ve had them all at one point in time. Try as I did and I assure you I did try REALLY HARD I walked away from several of them defeated and dejected. That was until I heard one of my favorite household hints ever- hydrogen peroxide and ammonia mixed in equal parts. The mixture has tackled every stain I‘ve encountered so far, effectively. Be sure to only mix it as you need it because it loses it’s potency after 24 hours. I’ve found that letting it set at least ten minutes before wiping or washing is enough time for it to do the job. On carpet I apply the solution, wait, then blot up as much as possible before using a wet cloth to scrub the remainder of the stain away.


What are some of your favorite household hints?

No comments:

Post a Comment