Thursday, July 1, 2010

One Mother Home Alone-A True Story

So, what do you call a mom of four whose children are away for a week? RELAXED!

I have cleaned house, and it has remained clean. I shampooed carpets and caught up on laundry. I have used the pool without fear of ridicule (the kids think my new swimsuit is hideous). I went to see a movie with a friend.(Knight and Day, very cute). I have caught up on some reading and some writing. I have sung quite loudly in the van to the songs on a station of my choosing.

It's also very quiet in the absence of those four blessings and the 101 people who file in and out the doors when they are home. I miss the laughter that fills the house when they are present. I also miss just knowing that all my little chicks are in the same nest at night. Being here alone for most of this week made me think of that Rockwell song from the 80's, " I always feel like somebody's watching me". I could become paranoid without much effort. There's no way I could make it as long as Tom Hank's did in his movie "Castaway" I don't think I could be satisfied talking to a volley ball for years on end. I need both parts of the conversation-the ears and the mouth. I would probably end up with multiple personality disorder just so I'd have company.


Tomorrow it ends. I have no doubt there will be arguing, complaints, and short tempers. I can't wait. I need to buy groceries sometime before then so they can tell me "We don't have anything good to eat". Ahhhh-good times.


Let the mayhem begin!




Rockwell-

3 comments: