Monday, July 12, 2010

Thank You Harper Lee

 "'Mockingbirds don't do one thing but make music for us to enjoy. They don't eat up people's gardens, don't nest in corncribs, they don't do one thing but sing their hearts out for us. That's why it's a sin to kill a mockingbird.'" - Harper Lee, To Kill a Mockingbird

In 11th grade AP English we were required to read what became my favorite fiction of all time,  Harper Lee's "To Kill A Mockingbird".   As an Alabama girl whose family name is Harper it was an obvious choice. I loved the characters, I loved the small southern town where it was set and of course the story itself of racial inequality as seen through the eyes of children.  Since that first required reading for Mrs. Palmer's class back in 1984, I have chosen to reread the book almost every year. Ms. Lee's life story has become as interesting to me as the novel. We know that although not autobiographical the story is somewhat based on her own early life.



The seeming reclusiveness of Ms. Lee and the fact that she published no other novels is intriguing.  As I understand it, she splits her time between Monroeville, Alabama where she lives with her 98 year old sister Alice (who still practices law) and New York City.  She doesn't participate in her hometown's yearly play based on her novel and is not prone to answer questions or give interviews about the book.  Her sister says that the book is only talked about in terms of business even between the two of them. When Ms. Lee does commit to public appearance it is without much fanfare. Her acceptance of the Presidential Medal of Freedom award from President Bush in 2007 was done without speech or a q&a session on her part.  Her recent run-in with a reporter from a British tabloid was par for the course, although Ms. Lee answered no questions her refusal was ,as always, gracious.



 I was delighted during the past school year that Ben was required to read TKAM.  I enjoyed being able to discuss it with him.  Finding common ground with a teenager is no small feat.  He did manage to destroy my 1964 copy along the way. It was at best in fair condition but the book had been in my possession for quite some time. I had purchased it at an antique book event back in the late 80's. I am thankful for Ebay and am watching the auctions to find another.  I am hoping that by some happy accident I happen upon a first edition that is under priced enough that I can afford it.



This year marks the 50th anniversary of the publication of "To Kill A Mockingbird".  Amazingly since it first came off the press it has never been out of print.  It is currently used in 70% of American schools and tops the list of books every adult should read in a survey of British adults. Because of the book's impact on me, I decided to write to Harper Lee to thank her for the book and for the hope I felt she provided  young southern women with literary ambitions.  I sent the letter to both her publisher in New York and to Monroeville, AL(I didn't have an address but assumed that as their most famous resident she could be found). I was absolutely thrilled when she responded not once but twice.  I have a lovely postcard postmarked New York City and a handwritten note from Monroeville. The responses were received six months apart each on a day when my world happened to feel as though it was falling apart. What wonderful timing!


My postcard is now laminated,framed and is useful not only for decorative purposes but extra credit in literature.  Allison will be reading it in two years, I hope the teacher accepts it again!







No comments:

Post a Comment