Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Where's My BUZZ?

Woody and Buzz,  Sponge Bob and Patrick, Thelma and Louise, are all fictional best friends. Patti, Laura, Dee, Cheryl, Cyndi, and Dawn have been some of my very closest friends in adulthood.  Robin,  Annette, Heather, Berta, and Geanni are a few of the ones I feel had potential to be great friends but job changes and moves did not allow those relationships to be developed fully.

 The nature of my husband's job has required several moves by our family.  In fact, between December of 1999 and July of 2005 we moved four times living in three states. The frequent moving didn't lend itself to long term, in depth, let me bare my soul to you relationships. My children were younger and so the absence of friendships was felt but not dwelt upon. I do have many acquaintances and even feel a certain kinship with some of them but no BFF is to be found.

I always thought that once we were settled I would meet and connect with women or at the very least a woman with whom there would be a soul connection. I have also always believed myself to be good friend material.  I remember birthdays, try to listen with interest, share more positively than negatively, and am genuinely happy for the successes of others. REALLY.  Of the women I have met there are usually a couple of scenarios that play out:
                    1.  They are already entrenched in their female
                          relationships with little room  left for
                          new ones.(this is understandable what with
                          the work and family obligations already
                          vying for time too)
                    2.   They seem okay with making new friends             
                           but are only into it so much as the other person
                          is the one doing all the relationship work
                          (making the calls, issuing invitations, etc.)


We have been in our current home for five years the longest we have lived anywhere since that first move in '99.  One thing that has been bothering me is this last move brought us back to an area where we had lived from 00-02. We were gone for about four years but I did think it might be easier to connect since some of the groundwork was already in place. No such luck.   Of course, time and experience have changed all of our perspectives and needs. I know that I am in a different season of life now as are those who stayed here and we didn't go through those transformations together. For me to expect to pick up where we left off was  unrealistic.


 Facebook is a great way to catch up and keep up but there is only so much these virtual relationships can accomplish in the real world in real time. Sometimes I just want to reach out and touch someone as the old AT&T commercial said. Maybe an E-Harmony kind of site to match friends would help.

I would have my ad say something like MWF with teens and younger children, enjoys reading, discussing current events, has a strong faith in God, likes eating out, going to movies, today's country music and 80's rock,  loves shopping, laughing and day trips and worries how age is affecting her body and whether she has failed as a mother and would occasionally like to gripe about men. Seeks friendship of someone with similar interests who will not only accept support and encouragement but offer it as well.

3 comments:

  1. The Google ads that come with this post are priceless: Match.com; Catholic Match; Russian Women Dating Site; Single and Over 40?; Asian Girls for Marriage.......priceless.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's funny, from my page I don't see the ads.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My best friends are those few teachers I work with. Kay, Debbie, and Jamie are the bomb!! In fact, that is Debbie in my picture. But my very best friends are those I still see and talk with often from childhood, Lori and Lori Ann. Of course, my sister will always be considered number 1. Who else would be that has been through all we have together? It is difficult to maintain a close relationship with some women. But those that are our mainstay are so special!

    ReplyDelete