Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Officer, I Can Explain

Last week I dished out close to 300 plates of spaghetti, actually it was probably a few more because several people came back for seconds.  It was the 2nd annual People First of Henry County spaghetti dinner and it was such a blessing to be able to play a small part in the event.  This year participation was better than last and in addition to the food, there was a silent auction and several raffles so even more money was raised for the group to provide activities and events for special needs families in the area.

My mother-in-law organized the dinner. She has worked tirelessly for several months garnering donations and gathering people willing to make a crockpot of spaghetti sauce.  There was a brief fear that the 30 crockpots would not be enough, but in the end there were two pots left over and I got to take one home with me, well almost home.  The crockpot made it but we lost about half the sauce when a deer leaped in front of us on the way home.  You know the old junk in the trunk saying, yeah well, now it's spaghetti sauce coated junk.

Lulu, our dog, knew she was in for a treat as soon as the trunk lid popped open.  Her tail  and tongue both started wagging and I hoped the clean-up would not be the problem I had anticipated.  She was a great help but didn't quite get the job done.   I, in my one of my ever so brilliant ideas, decided to hose the thing out to finish it. Well, I thought it was a brilliant idea until the next day when the delicious aroma of spaghetti sauce had been replaced by an odor like no other I've ever known. ICK! There were quite a few adjectives bandied about in the describing of it: rotten, gross, disgusting, rancid, putrid, nasty, etc., (FYI...trunks have no drainage system). I hope we never get pulled over  and searched while driving the car, the tomato sauce staining might cause some serious problems.  It looks like a scene straight out of CSI in there.

On the plus side it did effectively deter the 16 year old driver from borrowing my car for several days. After a can of Lysol, some special odor neutralizer, carpet refresher, and bathroom cleaner with bleach, the smell is not so bad although there is still some kind of indescribably weird, funky odor that hits you smack in the face when the door is opened.  Okay, so maybe it is still a little bad, hopefully, time will cure that too.



No comments:

Post a Comment