Thursday, April 7, 2011

Odd Jobs Done Oddly

Sparta's list of "honey-do's" is unending and most of the time undone. There are things that bother me around the house that don't seem to bother him at all, whether it's because he is so laid back or just does not notice is debatable.

It starts out sweet enough, me-"honey, the screen on the back porch is torn", him-"okay". Time passes, reminders are given,  sweet requests turn into sour jabs and still the wasps are flying into our no fly zone.  Now, I should make this cl ear-we are "do it yourselfers". Sparta is a perfectionist and all his tasks look as though they were professionally done. He has built decks, put in wood flooring, installed ceiling fans, walls and tile and I am one lucky woman to have a man so capable.

I am more a duct tape kind of woman, don't get me wrong, I like things done right but my right and Sparta's right are not the same. For years on end Sparta wouldn't allow me to paint our interior walls because he didn't like the way I pre-taped the area. I learned early that to say "I'll do it myself" would strike fear into the core of his being. I am fairly certain that the linoleum tiles I put down in our first home's tiny bathroom( fewer than 10 squares were needed) is the key to his anxiety.

I do try not to do anything that can't be undone, most of my repairs are only meant to be temporary. Some of my favorite tools are duct tape, super glue, a black Sharpie, cardboard and toothpicks. 
The porch screen, I secured that with toothpicks, leveled a toilet with cardboard, covered tears in linoleum with Liquid Paper, filled in scratches on wood furniture with a marker and after waiting for more than a year for the chair bottoms to be screwed in, I super glued them in place.

Usually, when we've had a disagreement and Sparta feels badly about something he's said or done is when my "honey do's" get done. I think we need a good argument, my list is getting pretty long.

No comments:

Post a Comment