Wednesday, April 14, 2010

To Botox or Not Botox, That Is the Question

My bathroom counter is chock full of chick stuff. I have wrinkle filler (bondo for the skin-spackle it on, even it out and paint over), moisturizer, pore minimizer, exfoliating cleansers, lip plumpers, and a make-up guaranteed to defy my age.  I have tooth whitener, lotion for younger looking skin and a root touch up wand for my hair, which has not been it's natural shade since age 14. I could go on and on....  I spend a small fortune yearly in maintenance.

I went to a med spa a while back and had a skin analysis with their VISIA digital photo machine.  I was quite pleased to learn that I have fewer wrinkles than 85% of women my age (42). YAY ME!! I attribute this in large part to some of the best beauty advice my mother ever gave me.  She said "Always wear sunglasses, even when it's cloudy.  Squinting causes eye wrinkles".  Even though my signs of aging weren't awful, there are a couple of spots I'd like tweaked a bit(i.e. the angry mom furrow between my eyebrows and the parentheses that have their place but not on my face).

I tried talking to my husband, Sparta, about this but he was afraid I'd turn out like Nancy Pelosi. So without telling him I scheduled it and just like most of my haircuts, he didn't notice a difference. I told him about three weeks later so he would know that appearance wise it was not a big deal.

The doctor told me that upkeep would be required in four to six months.  It depends on how long it takes a person's body to metabolize the toxin.  Botox happens to be one of the few things that you can do where a slow metabolism works to your advantage.  The time has come for round two. So, I asked my husband last night if he would get me Botox injections for Mother's Day.  He became a little flustered and told me "You are playing a game you can't win".  While that is true, I still want to play, at least a bit longer.

There is no doubt vanity has it's part in my desire, I want to look my best. I want to look my best not only for me but for Sparta.  His eyes are the only ones I want to find me attractive and if I can maintain a youthful appearance with a little help, what's wrong with that?  I have been attempting it for years with pots of lotions and potions.

I am keeping my fingers crossed that there's a med spa gift certificate in my future.
                               
The idea is to die young as late as possible. ~Ashley Montagu

2 comments:

  1. Mrs. Tracey, you are beautiful without all of that stuff!

    Though unsolicited, here's my opinion: Some of the most beautiful women I know are 'old' and 'gray.' (I'll probably change my tune once I find several gray hairs or a bunch of wrinkles. haha.)

    But in all seriousness, I think it's cool God has made us to age. Somewhere in proverbs I believe it even says something about gray hair being 'a crown of splendor.'

    I don't know Mr. Sparta very well, but I'd say just as you love him just as much if not more as he ages, he does the same for you.

    My opinion, as cliche/sappy as it sounds is kind of like in Martina McBride's song "This One's For the Girls." She sings, "This is for all you girls about 42, tossing pennies into the fountain of youth. Every laugh line on your face made you who you are today..." Seems kind of like a badge of honor to me, kind of like the little boy who gets hurt and calls his wound a 'battle scar' full of glory.

    I have to admit, there's a lot to be said for beauty and it was very hard for me to come home for a while after Mama got sick, because the beautiful mother I remember, the one in her first fb profile picture, she didn't look like herself. She is a very strong woman, but she was tired, and that was very hard for me to see.

    But I have to tell you, I can't get enough time with her right now. She's soooo much fun and more beautiful than I've ever seen her because she is strong, she is smart, she is right where God wants her, and that is way more beautiful to me than any amount of cosmetic product or treatment.

    I think you are beautiful. Inside and out. With and without cosmetics. I love to hear your thoughts and advice.

    <3, Micki

    ReplyDelete
  2. I, too, think there's nothing wrong with getting a little help in maintaining one's youthful beauty! Age-lines and wrinkles are a common thing, and when we think about it, they're like maps or history books of the lives we've lived, but at the same time, we don't want them to overrun our skin, do we? I think a little bit of treatment every now and then is definitely a good thing.

    ReplyDelete