Monday, April 26, 2010

Churches Should Have ICU's

Each Sunday morning I attend a great Sunday school class with women I adore.  It never ceases to amaze me what each of us is going through  or has gone through.  We are a diverse group of women, some married, some divorced, some mothers, some emptynesters. Believe me when I say we have some issues.  Some of us have not healed from past hurts and others of us are freshly wounded. My point in this is that we have a relationship with Jehovah-Raphe, the Lord who Heals. We are blessed and believe me, we know it. 
My concern is for those who don't know Him. When they visit the church broken and bleeding do they find comfort and care?  How intimidating must it be for someone who is seeking something, to walk into a class of those who seem to have it together.
I wonder if our classes were named things like "Wounded and Walking", "Women in Need", "Hope Is a Four Letter Word", "Finding Happiness Where You Are with I AM"  or something else along those lines, if maybe more people could let their brokenness show instead of pretending to have it altogether. Would we touch more lives?

I have heard so many people say things like when I get it together I'll come back to (or start attending) church and I can't go to church, what would people think of me.  It shouldn't be that way.  Our churches should be like hospitals.  Places where you seek help when things seem the worst. A place where you can see, hear and feel the love of God and for God. A place of hope, a place of rest for the worn out soul a respite from the world.  I get the feeling that many churchgoers go there with the attitude that it is more like a spa day. You know something nice to do for oneself- have a little fellowship, detox from the workweek, or maybe even be inspired.  I have done that very thing myself upon occcasion. I hope to be more aware from now on of "why" I am there and not of "what" I am there.

1 comment:

  1. geanniwunchmillerMay 2, 2010 at 3:47 AM

    Tracey, girlfriend- you are SO right! I could cry sometimes, when I think of how Christ showed us to be- and how we actually ARE! And I'm talking to myself first, here. It just seems like He would be SO disappointed, you know? That we've totally missed the point. I'm so very thankful for his mercy, grace, + forgiveness. There's nothing I've ever done, nor WILL ever do, which would be good enough to earn His favor, much less His LIFE! And, on top of saving me from my just punishment, He also continually blesses me in my daily life. WOW! Our God is amazing. We really should start acting more like it!!

    ReplyDelete