Saturday, February 12, 2011

Tipping the Scales

My husband weighed 117 pounds when he graduated high school. He was told that if he stood sideways he resembled a zipper (I assume his nose would have been the pull). In comparison, I weighed in the neighborhood of 130 when I graduated. Sparta has had the metabolism of a hummingbird.  If conventional dieting wisdom said "don't", he did and it never showed in his weight.  Not fair, not fair, not fair.

While I have been up and down the scales and tried practically every diet known to (wo) man, he has never had need. That is until now  and by now I mean the past couple of years. I don't think he needs to lose anything but he feels yucky and there's no arguing with that.

You'd  think he might listen to the 20+ years of expertise I have garnered on the subject. Carbs? Calories? Fat content? Ask me, I'm your girl.

This morning I gave him the most critical piece of advice for successful dieting. Eat breakfast and not just any breakfast but one high in protein.  Do you think he listened? Ummm, no.

That's okay though because at some point in the future, someone else will tell him the same thing and then the advice will be pure GOLD. 

At that time there will be some eye-rolling and shaking of the head-- my own. I wouldn't shake him no matter how tempted. I'll bet that would burn a few calories though.

No comments:

Post a Comment