Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Iced In

This will be a January to remember, and I'm sure the kids will remember it fondly for the snow days it has brought them.Leah made a video of herself walking through snow that was more crunchy than a kettle cooked potato chip. There were no Frostys made with that stuff. Oh the joys of winter- NOT. I like to look at snow for a day or so and I enjoy seeing the kids play in it once.After the first time, the amount of laundry they create with each new venture into the frozen tundra of our yard is all I see.

This weather makes me thankful for several things that other times of the year are more nuisance and time stealers than anything else. Video game systems, television, and the internet. Other than sick days ( mine not the kids), I complain vehemently about the excessive screen time that no doubt is damaging their eyes. In our nature imposed imprisonment I tend to overlook that danger.

We've had the requisite chili, played a few games and spent some quality time in conversation and I have read a pretty good book. Last night I fried cauliflower and pickles and Leah made chocolate cookies. This morning I cooked a real breakfast much to the delight of the kids. So in addition to vision loss, clogged arteries and weight gain are becoming real threats if we don't soon get out of here.

Although we moved farther south in order to avoid extended periods of cold and snow (not the only reason), on day two of treacherous road conditions I miss living in a place where the powers that be know how to clear highways and roads. At this point school has been out for two unscheduled days and it's looking pretty iffy for tomorrow.  It's not all bad rest assured, I have plenty of bread and milk.

No comments:

Post a Comment