Thursday, May 6, 2010

On Motherhood

Mom I need.....a new swimsuit, field trip money, gas money, stuff for my project that is due tomorrow.  Mom what's for dinner, do we have band-aids, can I go, will you take me, where are my shoes?  Endless needs, endless questions. As mother's day weekend approaches I am not sentimentally reflecting on the glories of motherhood.  Nope, not me. I am looking forward to the day when dishes are not growing mold in the dark corners of bedrooms that look like they should be declared hazardous waste areas. I am looking forward to finding my jewelry, toiletries and shoes in the places I left them. I am looking forward to fewer eye rolls and more civilized conversations.  If I never pull another pair of dirty socks out from the couch or clean any of a variety of bodily fluids out of carpet again I will not be saddened.

A friend recently celebrated the end of an era. After eleven and a half years her home is now teen free. When Wesley turns twenty our time in teendom will total 15 years consecutively and I don't even want to know the concurrent number. I love my children and cherish all the precious memories that have come because of them. I know that being a mother has made me a better person it was either become more patient and understanding or become a convicted felon.  I think I made the right choice.

No comments:

Post a Comment